Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I'm really glad I don't live in Cleveland. There are tons of reasons, but having an entire 3 game series SNOWED out during April is ridiculous. The good part for now I guess is that Felix gets to pitch a game earlier.

There is really only one worthwhile broadcast tv channel on this island. It has CNN in the morning and sometimes has live sports and network tv shows from the armed forces network. There are plenty of bad things about it though. All the commercials are military propaganda. Any show could at any time be preempted or interrupted by a recording of Samoan church or a drag queen contest or flag day celebrations. None of these things are hardly ever shown live. Flag day is next week, but that doesn't stop the occasional broadcast of last year's celebration at any time. During the NCAA tournament for example, one GAME just happened to end right at noon. Lucky because instead of going to the next game (Wazzu), they went to a church replay. Monday night there was some sort of kareoke from who knows when on instead of network programming. Easily the worst thing about this station is that it must be powered by a 9 volt battery. This island is only 20 miles long so no matter where the towers are, it wouldn't be too far (they're actually probably about 7 miles away from me). Watching the station on rabbit ears, you'd think this station is coming from Tokyo, or Uranus, or your anus. The sound is fine, but the picture is half tv, half ant races. Also, I'm mostly assuming that the other station(s) is worse as far as programming because no other stations come in here at all.

Yesterday I got the rest of my stuff. Now I can stop using my computer as my stereo. Last night was actually the first time I've ever heard this stereo in action because I bought it just before leaving and mailed it to myself. Not too bad. Probably the best home theater setup I've had. Of course this one doesn't involve car speakers or car amplifiers in any way and none of the speakers are (currently) blown, so it wouldn't be too hard to top most setups of mine with which you may be familiar.

Flag Day is the biggest holiday here apparently. It is next Tuesday and they give you two days off for it. You'd think that they'd give you a 4 day weekend, but apparently not. I guess we get next Tuesday and Wednesday off instead of Monday and Tuesday. I say apparently because holidays aren't set here for absolute sure until your office gets a fax from the Governor. For example, for Good Friday, the official fax came in the day before. It is pretty sure that it is going to be Tuesday and Wednesday off...

so, I'm going to Western Samoa. I was able to get Monday off last minute, so I'll be going with about 10 people over to Apia and around Upolu (the main island of WS). I'm hoping to leave on the 430p flight Friday and come back Wednesday. This should be pretty fun.

These aren't new pictures, but they are new to the blog:










Movie review:

Blood Diamond. 7 Pretty good. There's a lot of action and blowing things up (which can be good) but most of it is not pointless and is reasonable within the story (unlike say Bad Boys II). Worth renting.

The fantastic weather stretch continues today.

13 comments:

stadtler said...

What's with this continued hate of Bad Boys II?!? Sure, the Cuba part was dumb, but it was still Bad Boys and therefore, great.

If you keep up with this BB2 negativity I'm gonna send Jerry down there to punch you in the kidneys.

Janaya said...

I agree with Adrian. Will Smith is hot so how could it be bad.

Unknown said...

BB2 is crap.

BB1 is not my favorite movie either. I liked it the first time, but I didn't need to see it the next 104 times that were forced upon me.

Unknown said...

Bad Boys 2 is crap I don't care what Jerry thinks, he ain't readin this anyway. BB1 is passable.

stadtler said...

I know what's not crap....
Felix's performance against the Sox. Our $400k/year pitcher smoked their $20mil/year pitcher! Whoop whoop.

Hoz said...

Maybe you should start your own TV station. Masser TV. You could call it MTV for short. You could aire shows like BW 2 or the 1993 version of Dukes of Hazzard. That would be a hit.

Carolyn & Adrian said...

I'm sorry that THE GAME's anus doens't have the viewing options that you prefer.
And now that I've had the time to read the last week's blog entries I've noticed that you need to start bringing your camara with you when you go places. It's an on going theme that I've noticed. 'We went and did this...but I forgot my camara.'
Ask Adrian how he likes 12 hour days, and entertaining George.

Unknown said...

I do need to bring my camera more, but I also provide a link to a place with pictures, so that's something, eh?

He said he liked it fine.

The Witch Is In said...

Military propaganda and drag queen contests? Huummmm, I wonder if, no, they wouldn't be the same would they? That sounds like my kind of TV. Church, military, and drag queens, oh my..... David says to tell you hi and that he had no idea you were so funny , Taylor wants to thank you for the birthday mention. (her new name is cheese for reasons that are totally unclear to me)

Unknown said...

FYI...I thought I'd let everyone know that Aaron is up on Western Samoa until Wednesday. So, I wouldn't expect any new postings from him until after he gets back, but you never know...

June said...

Shen is doing better. No, he does not go to Auburn. My vet is an Auburn graduate and he consults on tricky cases with the doc's there, which is a great benefit.

I have been in AL all week helping get Gladys' medicaid applications going. Kenneth sold the boat that you went out in that time you were there and found the fishing pole with the catfish on it. Kenneth always asks about you.

kccalla said...

Hola! Just returned from Puerto Vallarta on Friday. Good to see that the M's are in first place! Hopefully all these games we will have to make up won't screw us.

Mexico was fun. Gavin did amazingly well. I was pretty nervous about having a screaming baby for the whole plane ride, but he didn't make a peep the whole way down there. He fussed a little on the flights home, but just for a few minutes before falling asleep. He also slept through the night during the entire trip! Now that we are back at home, however, he's back to his middle of the night waking. Vacation's over I guess.

We had a couple of donkey shirts that we dressed him in. He urped on one and pooped on the other. I thought that was pretty fitting!

I agree that you are being a little too hard on Bad Boys II. There are worse things out there that are more deserving of your criticism, such as Pearl Jam.

Unknown said...

New post tomorrow. I didn't have time to get it together today what with the BS having to work all day.