Friday, September 21, 2007

Court in the Time of Cholera



I didn't feel very well the last day in Savai'i. Then the Tuesday back at work, I could bearly make it in. If there was anyone available who could have reasonably covered for me, I wouldn't have gone in. It was pretty miserable. Then I was mostly sick all week and the next weekend.
The next Sunday night/Monday morning I was super sick. I thought it was food poisoning, but now think it was something like giardia. It was BY FAR the worst sort of intenstinal distress I've ever had. We had eruptions from both ends. Not so nice. I couldn't physically make it in on Monday and I actually called in sick Monday and Tuesday.
About this time my normal, semi-messed up ankles (from mosquito bites and itching) got horrendous. My ankles and calves were disgusting oozing messes that were all swollen up and looked like smallpox. I think that when my immune system bas busy thing to bust the cholera, it let in the leg infection. I should have taken a picture then.
I was better Wednesday and went to work. Thursday, I was back to Tuesday status. I went to work and had court all day- but it was pure torture...just awful. Friday was merely not so good. I slept and did nothing Friday after work. Saturday, I felt better and helped Ruth move, but by the end of it I was exhausted at about 5pm. So, to avoid having my ankles amputated and to avoid dying from cholera/disentery, I broke down and Nate took me to the hospital. They gave me some antibiotics. Things were dramaically improved by Monday. Naomi had the great pleasure of keeping my disgusting ankles covered in fresh bandages. Sorry about that. Now I'm getting close to being back to normal. Even my leg rot has mostly healed. But, it was good times.

My Vonage phone is still down. I'm hoping to remedy that tonight or at least this weekend. We'll see. My cell phone got stolen so at the moment I don't have that either. My home phone is 684.699.8221, but hopefully I'll only need to use that until tonight when my vonage gets fixed. We shall see.

Maybe my sickness was caused by the Mariners. What the hell was that? Say you are leading the wild card race and trail the division leaders by a game or two going into a series with the division leader, what do you want to do? Lose 17 out of 22 games? Well that's how the M's went about it. Simply inexcusable. They have to get rid of Bavasi. We could have gotten something for Soriano or made him a starter instead of ending up with probably the worst starter in the league Horacio Ramierez. I like MacLaren, but I think he probably has to go as well. There's Bobby Valentine, Tony LaRussa, Joey Cora, Larry Bowa, and Joe Girardi. Pick one of them and get a new GM.
The pitching problems are harder to fix. They have Felix, Washburn, and Batista. They need 2 more. Maybe Morrow can be one. The other? Here's who could be decent and available:
Bartolo Colon (hurt- so the M's will probably get him)
Freddy
Jason Jennings (this would be my pick)
Matt Clement
Kenny Rogers
Livan Hernandez
and that's about it. The rest either suck (worse) and/or won't leave their team.

I'm pretty impressed with the Dawgs so far. It is great that they thrashed Syracuse and beat Boise. The Syracuse game was even on TV here. That was fantastic. They could have beaten Ohio State as well if those two bad plays in the 3rd didn't happen.
This week: UW 30 UCLA 24

Seahawks: Blech! They haven't lost a game that the had won like that since all 3 of those Rams games and the Cowboy game of 3 years ago.
Hawks 38
Cincy 20

Special shout out to Zach Bays: How about those Irish? I think I have 12 more rushing yards so far this season than their entire team; though I am tied with them for wins.

2 comments:

Sean, Jessi and Jaydn Coletti said...

Aaron- I loved the blog- thaks for updating! I"m so sorry you were sick! Yikes! That sounds creepy! I was just having some homesickness for the island life....until I read your blog. Thanks for curing my homesickness - FAST! Sounds like a great trip- you are hilarious! I'm glad things are going well...sounds like you are still seeing Naomi- how is it going?
We are doing great. Things are too busy though...I feel like I havn't had as much family time here as I did there. PLus, I have been trying to get used to having Sean get home at 6pm! It is SO late! Other than that, things are great! I love the food here, and I don't eat a meal w/o remembering to be very grateful! We miss you. Love Jessi

Hoz said...

What the hell man! You post this awful stuff after I already bought my plane tickets. Sneaky bastard. You are super lucky that your leg infection didn't merge with your Foot HIVs. That would have required an entire dump truck load of antibiotics and most likely an amputation all the way up to little donkey. Try to fix yourself before I get there and make sure you don't take me anywhere near those "restaurants".

HOZ OUT