Saturday, December 8, 2007

Fun with Google Earth

Look how far away from anything this place is:
(click on these to zoom in)


Here's the general neighborhood. It is about a 3 hour flight from Apia to Suva, Fiji (not that I've been there yet):

Here's Tutuila with some places noted

You can even pick out my house:


I bought my first plastic Christmas tree ever.




They have real trees available here, but they're $75.

Movie Reviews:

Reno 911
It sucks. I wanted to like it because I like the show. I think they should have just kept it in Reno and just made a longer episode that they could swear in. 2.5

The Great Raid
This is a pretty good war movie. It isn't as good as Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers or anything, but it certainly is worth watching. Plus it covers a part of WWII that doesn't have tons of movies about it. 6.5

Willingham:
I think (after calming down a little) that giving him another year is the best thing for the program. They certainly blew lots of leads and chances and that was extremely frustrating. But, they also had the #1 toughest schedule in the country and if things would have gone a little differently (ahem, better 2nd half game coaching), they easily could have gone to a bowl game. Plus, the recruiting class looks really good. Hopefully we'll be much better next year. And if we're not better, hopefully Mora is still hanging around. Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and BYU for non-league next year is pretty tough again(ok, ND sucks; I mean really really really sucks). I think I'll try to make it back for Oklahoma or Notre Dame.

10 comments:

Yehudi said...

It is so remote! So, that begs the question: how much of a need is there for a lawyer? If there's a dispute, can't they just pay in chickens...and for the more serious offenses, one goat!
Seriously....what could possibly keep you busy there and still pay the bills? Do you have bills on Gilligan's Island? Looks like a paradise...maybe instead of moving to Israel, my wife and I should look into real estate on the island!

Unknown said...

It's kind of like a small-medium sized county and it has mostly the same sort of crime. Unfortunately, things aren't too cheap here because they have to ship everything in. It is pretty nice here though. The worst part about here is that it is so hard to get out of here. It takes too much time and money to go to civilization (or even someplace not civilization other than Samoa) for a weekend for example.

There are lots of chickens here, but I have yet to see one goat. I could use one for my lawn.

Yehudi said...

LOL! I saw your lawn...I guess the sheer expense of leaving the island would make it difficult to visit family, (or for them to visit you). My wife's daughter is stationed in Guam, and for us to visit, it is very expensive because we are flying to Japan, and then back to Guam...no direct flights.

I would imagine the fishing is incredible there, though. I bet you get amazing storms, as well!
Are you plans to stay or will you be there for a fixed amount of time?

We'll be praying you have a white Christmas... :)

Unknown said...

Ha! Yeah, not much chance of snow here.
Yes, the quality of tuna here is incredible and then the reef fish you can see snorkeling are also crazy. It does rain ridiculously hard here sometimes.
Yeah, I imagine Guam is a similar situation (although with more stuff in Guam).
I have a 2 year contract. So, about 14 months left here.

Yehudi said...

Could you stay if you chose to? Would you want to? I am guessing that I would get a bit of "cabin-fever", feeling couped-up on an island. How big is the island?

So, are you from Washington? My guess is founded in your affinity for UW athletics. We are Oregon Duck fans here....not too compatible, I suppose. We should've been National Champions this year. Too bad Dixon got hurt....and that we don't have a back-up QB worthy of playing flag football, not to mention Division I football. Oy!

How often do you get back here? (to the US)...

Look forward to hearing back from you...

kccalla said...

While it is too bad that Dixon got hurt, us Husky fans are thrilled that the Ducks lost their last three. Misery loves company. I do agree though - they were playing the best football in the country.

Masser - big mistake showing the location of your house. Now Dale knows where you live!

Hoz said...

and BOOTH

Hoz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KDub said...

Aaron - If you're trying to decide on which game to go to next year, I recommend the season opener against BYU. I will be there with a few guys from work. Our CCO (my boss) is a UW grad and we have been talking a large amount of trash to all the BYU fans around here. Right now there are about 6 or 7 guys who are planning on going.

Susan said...

FYI The hotel in the movie Reno 911 is mine in Miami Beach.

Hey if I wanted to call you what number do I call?

-Susan