Friday, March 23, 2007

Manskirt

Today is going to be long because of probation review. It will also be boring because of probation review. The break from stress will be nice though after yesterday. I had my first preliminary examination. It is where the government has to show probable cause for all the elements of the crimes being charged. It's the first contested hearing I've had. It isn't even really contested though. The defense has a chance to ask questions too, but the odds are so stacked in the government's favor that there has to be some real problem with our case or the prosecutor has to screw up. I was concerned about the latter happening. I'm sure I'll forget something sometime, but I didn't yesterday and it was bound over. I can't say that I "won" because of the way things are set so much in my favor, but I'm relieved to have not screwed it up. Also, I was the only one working from my office for most of the day because everyone else was at the AG's funeral. I had to go to court though. I also needed to finish a brief today, but the office was locked. I finally got in about 230, so I had just over an hour to finish the brief before court closed. It wasn't my best work, but at least it was filed.

Pretty much every government offfice was closed today for the funeral. That stopped me from getting some things done that I'm supposed to, but at least I have a reason.

But most of you probably didn't even read the paragraph above becuase of this:




The manskirt. It is actually a pretty comfortable article. Its main drawbacks are that it can flap open in the wind and that when you have things in your pockets you end up sitting on them sometimes. It is way cooler (temperature) than pants. I'd never pick a lavalava over shorts, but that might be because all the ones I have so far are heavier material. I'm going to get some made with lighter fabric. I'll also get some more pictures of them on here. I just wanted to get at least one on here to semi-satisfy everyone. One feature that you can't see in this picture is my shoes. I wear flipflops to work/court every day. That is a really nice deal. The lavalava and sandals setup would be even better if it weren't so cold in District Court.

I'm not totally sure what I'm doing this weekend. I'm hoping to do some hiking- we'll see if anyone wants to go with me. Friday, maybe poker. Saturday there's a bbq. Sunday- again hoping to go snorkling but it depends on the weather. The tropical depression that has been here for a couple weeks seems to be moving on somewhat.

Things are so hit or miss whether they are going to be nice, ok, or jacked here. For example, the DMV here is in the jacked category. You should see my drivers license. It is way crappier than a student ID. In fact everyone that comes to visit should go get one. They're $12. Selection of food in stores here is ok. It actually is jacked, but considering the distance to get stuff here, it is ok. The air conditioning and carpet in my office is super jacked. But, I went to the library and it is nice. It is new, nicely ACed, clean, organized, and they even had the exact book I was hoping to find.

I'm getting more used to the heat now. I've mostly stopped using the AC at all, even when sleeping. If anyone visiting can't take it, you can just use my room and I'll use another one. That just reminded me- Meg if you haven't sent the latest box, I could use a set of double sheets for my guest room. I suggest Ross since I don't need super nice ones, just sheets. Or you could just go Dave Howe and sleep straight on the mattress. Of course to really go Howe, you'd also have to start "borrowing" my shirts without my knowledge, wear them for a week in a row until your skin and the shirt start to meld and the armpits are dark brown, then say, "oh, hey I guess I accidently grabbed your shirt, here," and take it off right then give it back to me. Thanks Dave, you can just keep it. Boliva! Sorry if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about but I'm laughing right now.

There are private busses that serve as mass transit here on the island. Most rides are 50 cents. I like this green bus in particular, check it out:



I didn't get a picture of it from the side, but see the cool thing is you still can see what it looks like because it has a mural of itself on the back.
Something else that is 50 cents is a hot dog at Checkers. I wish you could hear the radio commercial. Actually, I think the station is streamed on the internet; they play it at least once an hour. Adrian- it isn't as crappy quality than the Dashers commercials, but it I really like it.

Of what do you want to see pictures? What do you want to know about here? I'll try to hook you up with that stuff. I'm a little less flying from one thing to another at work now because I've mostly scheduled things and mostly know what is coming up, so I can actually do some other things too.

How do you like the weather at home? Sure you don't want a lawyer, teaching, or fish canning job here? All are available at the moment with the imminent departure of one of our attorneys. I know most of you probably are focused on the fish canning job, but there is a drawback: you don't get to swim around in the vats of dead fish...oh, and they pay $2.85/hour.

Please don't let Oregon win the tournament.

13 comments:

Carolyn & Adrian said...

You're right I didn't read any of that post, all I wanted to do was see the picture of your manskirt. And now I can say, 'woohoo nice legs!' Well maybe you can give us a shot where you show a little more leg? Do you have any with more color or patterns?

stadtler said...

Nice manskirt!!! Nothing says class like a tie, skirt and flipflops. Wear that the next time you go to a wedding to really show ppl what's up.

No worries about Oregon winning the whole thing. Kansas will go ahead and do that.

Oden says, hi.

stadtler said...

How late is Checker's open? Is it a viable drunken, late-night option for food? If so Shane might put them out of business. Do they offer mayo or bacon with their dogs?
What's the name of your radio station? I'll go look for their web stream.
Garcia.

Carolyn & Adrian said...

Ok now that I've read your post..are there any nursing jobs open? If so do they pay more than $3/hour? And yes pics are always great. I'm assuming you live in some place like this. I hope your probation review went well.

Unknown said...

How long does the probation review take? Was there just one? Did you have to give arguments or is it mostly written stuff that you submit?

Are you going to any of the funeral stuff? I'm interested in hearing about that? If there going to be a big funeral for the judge that died too?

That picture is funny. Thank you for finally posting that. You are such a nerd.

I already sent you another box of stuff. I'll tell mom you need some sheets...it'll just give her an excuse to go to Ross for 5 hours.

I'm not feeling well today :-( so I am taking the afternoon off :-)

Janaya said...

I LOVE THE MANSKIRT. yesssss. That is hilarious. Thank you for saving me from absolute boredom. Seriously though, if it doesn't stop raining here, I might off myself. It is very sucky.

Turtle said...

It's funny...that's one of the best pictures I've seen taken of you and I am sure that it's solely because you are so happy to be wearing a skirt.

Only 9 more days!!

Do you still email or just blog?

Hoz said...

If the dogs are as good as Mazatlan, then maybe I could eat a few. HA. That night in Maz we stopped at like 5 in a row just to eat dogs at the one we liked but we were so drunk we didn't remember which one it was.

Wow- that is a good pic- did they frown upon you wearing those stark white pantyhose to work???

If not - I can send you a pair in my mystery box - that I am thinking about sending you.
What is one really important cheap item you would like to receive???

Unknown said...

http://khjnews.solupress.com/khjnews/default.asp is the link to the radio station.

I have 8 different colored manskirts with more to come.

Checkers is open til midnight I think. McD is open 24-7 here.

There are nursing jobs as well. I don't know how much they pay, but certainly more than $3

Probation review takes like 3 hours. There are like 65 people there at a time. It is awful. I don't have to do anything but sit there though.

There is a big funeral for the judge as well.

Ha. I'll see about getting a little tanner- I haven't actually had a Checkers hot dog yet, but it can't be as good as Mazatlan. They have good shakes though.

I do email, but this has been a super busy week. I've had like no time becuase all kinds of things keep happening, and I've been almost the only attorney working because of the funeral and vacations. Moi worked today, but just him and I.

kccalla said...

I don't believe you about the flapping in the wind problem. I think we need photo proof of you doing the Marilyn Monroe pose in your manskirt.

I thought that Dave used sheets. It's just that instead of sheets that you would buy at a store, he made his own sheets by laying on top of his dirty laundry, which also eliminated the need to buy a laundry bag, or even do laundry.

kccalla said...

50 cent hot dogs! You can't beat that with a stick! But you could eat them with a stick. But then they wouldn't be hot dogs, they would be corn dogs. So, the question is, can you get 50 cent corn dogs at Checkers? If not, then they suck!

Diana said...

well them are some nice legs...The pic of your manskirt really made me think I was nuts for not tracking you down while you were here and oh well...lol
you are missed dude! I have been kind and refused to give out your blog or your name but you are officially on notice that you are missed on tdn!

June said...

I definately think that you should have a manskirt made for Neil for Connie and his visit in July. I would like a photo of that!!!!! If there is anything that you need from TN let me know.