Tuesday, May 22, 2007

When it is raining here, there isn't a whole lot to do. So, that leaves us to do things that are dumb. I've mentioned it before, but Vailima is the "local" beer here. There are no brewerys in American Samoa, but there's Vailima in Western Samoa. It grows there. Right on the label it says "Produce of Samoa". They must use a lot of natural fertilizer on this crop becuase it really tastes like shit. Regardless, we went ahead and got alot of it.


Eight of us decided to take the Vailima challenge. In order to pass the challenge, you had to drink at least 5 torpedoes of Vailima between about 7pm and 7am the next day. Torpedoes are 750ml of the "special" imported version of Vailima. It is special because it tastes even worse than regular Vailima and it has 6.7% alcohol. You could go for the record if you liked. I finished 7 torpedoes by about midnight and decided that was enough.




Mike Keyser made the effort on this one:

though he ended at 3 1/2.

Justin managed to finish 9.


Nate sandbagged Justin. He stayed up waiting for Justin to pass out. This lated for a long time. Then, once he went to bed, Nate totally shafted him (and himself) by pounding 3 more torpedoes to make it 10 right around 7am. I hadn't even looked in the fridge until Nate was getting his last one. I was just shocked about how much Vailima was drank.


Once he had the record, we went over and woke up Weaver, who then took us to wake up Sharon. Sharon deserved it since she didn't show up for the contest. I have some video of Nate during this time, but I'm not sure if it is fit for the blog or not. You know the part when Farva is at the governor's party in Super Troopers? That's about how drunk he was (no puking though).


Then Maximo, Sharon, and I took the garbage walk to Airport Beach since we were already up. The garbage trail to Airport Beach really sucks. It is way longer and much more unpleasant than taking the blowhole route. I do not plan to ever take the garbage route again. The tide was all the way in and the water was rough, so we didn't stay too long. But we took the blowhole route to Maliamai and the blowholes were really huge because the tide was in. There were sprays probably 40 feet high out of some of them. Then Ben was kind enough to pick us up an Maliamai. I went to sleep from 11-3p and then I went to bed again at 730p.

You never know what you are going to get here. Samoa shafted me the other day. I was going to make Tzaziki dip for the Vailima Challenge because I finally found some plain yogurt at the store. It was $4.50 for one large container, but since I hadn't seen plain yogurt at all on island, I figured I should get it.


So I made the tzaziki and was looking forward to it the next day. I hadn't tasted it though. When I did, I noticed it was sweet! Why would you sweeten plain yogurt???? I just don't get it! Sweet tzaziki is not very good.

The M's won today I see. If they would have lost, I think that might have put Hargrove and Bavasi over the edge. This still leaves them 5.5 games out of 1st. That's dangerously close to too far out. If it gets to 8, they have to be gone.

This weekend, we're going to Ofu. Its another American Samoa island that I haven't been to yet. It's on the Travel Channel's list of best beaches in the world. http://travel.discovery.com/ideas/best-beaches/guides/region-list.html It isn't set yet if we are leaving Friday afternoon/evening or Saturday morning becuase that's the way things work here.

Movie review:

Night at the Museum
It has some funny parts and some cool effects. But, it is fairly cheesy and not all that exciting or entertaining. One part in particular was crappy: the girl in the movie has been writing a dissertation on Sacajawea for something like 3 years. Ben Stiller is talking to her about it and mispronounces Sacajawea. She corrects him, but she corrects him to the way most people say it. If you seriously were working on a book about someone for 3 years, and you were going to correct someone about how they said that person's name, wouldn't you at least get it right? I think yes, Night at the Museum says no. 4.5

Today's stink level was clear in the morning, then partly stinky midday, but clear again by mid afternoon.

I can't believe the Blazers got the #1 pick.

Check Weave's blog for more Vailima info and pics.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Like you need an excuse to do dumb things. We all know you.

I want to see the video of drunk Nate. I think that would be entertaining.

Did you think Adrian and I were kidding when we said the garbage walk sucks? It is super long.

stadtler said...

Spring 2008 the record will fall. I hope Nate enjoys his brief time as the record holder.

What was your favorite part of the garbage walk? Mine was the places that had foot-deep moss. I also like the fact that every flip-flop ever discarded on the face of the planet lives there.

Yep, the Sonics are saved and will make the playoff next year. If they take a 18yo, 7' French guy I'm seriously gonna go puke on their offices.

stadtler said...

Ha. Nate is number one!

Hoz said...

Predictions: Spring 2008

I could never beat Adrian at the Vailima Challenge- so my only hope is to be somewhat caught up with him as he nears the most drunken he has ever been- which is surely a feat in itself. That way I can be a part of (instead of a witness to) the debauchery that will ensue.