Thursday, June 26, 2008

6-26

What's been going on here? Nothing too exciting. Ridiculous court decisions, playing golf on Fridays, mostly just hanging out.

I have started outrigger canoe paddling. I don't have any pictures yet, but I'll put some up when Naomi takes her waterproof camera out. Naomi has been paddling for quite a while now. I just started and I still suck pretty bad. At the moment my back is really sore from top to bottom from it. Paddling is really hard because they're race training every day, but it is good exercise and nice to be out on the water around sunset.

The golf is $3 for 9 holes, so you can't beat that.

I see that ridiculous court decisions aren't limited to American Samoa though. This is nearly legally indefensible in my opinion. The militia requirement is pretty clear. The majority acts like it has never been a real requirement and they just gloss over it. That is totally not the case. I am not saying all guns should be illegal, but if a jurisdiction decides it needs to put some restrictions on guns, they should certainly be allowed to do so. The members of state national guards should be exempt from any such law. This is another pathetic politically driven decision like Bush v. Gore.

This is what happens when you put unqualified and/or politically motivated judges on the Supreme Court.

Golf tomorrow, poker/Markus's bachelor party Saturday---maybe head to Apia for Manu'a Flag Day (you all should demand July 16 off work) long weekend. After that it is the Pacific Arts Festival here on Tutuila. Hopefully the supply of food won't run out on the island. This place is completely unprepared for any large event and this is going to be a disaster. Then when the disaster is over, the Governor will declare it a great success.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I can just see the mob fights over the last Gatorade and can of tin fish.
Personally, I think the island could stand to have an imported food shortage (well except produce).
May the pisupo and rice be rid!
Besides I have my new Trader Joe's stash-the rest of you are on your own!

Janaya said...

I was shocked about the decision too. What morons.

kccalla said...

One of the many reasons Dubbya is up for this prestigious honor:

Flush a Dubbya

That Guy said...

We can only hope that the Court doesn't next decide that the 2nd amendment can be applied against the States, through the 14th