Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pacific Arts Festival

So far, it is a miracle. No humanitarian disasters yet. Lots of the venues here would be mudholes and the audiences (should they show up) would be drenched if it rained. But, after months of routinely bad weather, it has been perfect weather, with the exception of a little drizzle for maybe an hour a couple nights ago.

Yesterday was probably the best weather day since I've been in Samoa. 79 degrees, low humidity (comparatively), and almost no clouds (very rare here). I was sick though and didn't get to enjoy it, but it looks like today is about as nice and I'm feeling much better after 11 hours of sleep and pretty much resting all day yesterday after a very brief morning court appearance.

Also, the Arts Festival events have been really great and entertaining. It is such a novelty in the first place to have a bunch of people walking around that you don't know, but the performances have been very interesting and the groups are so friendly and happy to have people interested in their culture and art, it has made for a really fun time so far.





The internet is so slow today that I'm going to have to cut my update short here because I have to go. It took about 3 hours for it to finally upload just these pictures.

I'll have more later.






Now I'm off to Oscar's (and sort of my) birthday party at his house. It should be really fun.

Update for Goat Island review:
It can't be a 9.5 and 6 or whatever. We went again, the service was unbelievably bad even for here. As bad as the Deluxe Cafe. The food was also nothing special this time. I was pretty disappointed. So, like most places (every place except Sook's, McD, and Carl's), it is inconsistent at best. So I'm going to have to lower it to 7 on island (still is a nice location) and 3 or so off-island, though my last experience was a -10.

OK, I have to go

3 comments:

stadtler said...

Whoa. Breaking out the National Geographic-esque nudity for the blog today. Wait until my work internet filters find out...

arachesostufo said...

you live in a paradise...

Tom Drabble said...

Aaron,
Love your blog site. It's great to refer people to who want an unbiased view of life in American Samoa. And your restaurant reviews` are appreciated too. Operators need this kind of feedback to realize what the public really thinks of their operation. On your last review of the Goat Island Cafe you did not mention that this was at the height of the ArtsFest. G.I. Cafe was in no way capable of handling the 600 plus customers that day. Your first visit was a couple of days after opening (with deliberately no publicity) and customers were few. G.I. Cafe will not see 600 customers again in one day in my lifetime.
Since the ArtsFest the Cafe has mellowed to a sustainable 150 or so customers a day and increasing on a steady basis. Product consistency and quality is always a work in progress as is customer service. Thanks for the comments.
--Tom & Tee Drabble, Proprietors.