Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy New Year

Merry Christmas too. I guess I haven't done an update since before Thanksgiving either.

So, here's a great local music video to make up for that: King Aeto!

I have less than a month left on the island now. Since my last post, Fred left the island. He'll be missed.


I think coming to Samoa is a great experience and it has been a great time. But, two years is a long time. When I leave, I think there will only be four people in the group that were on-island when I moved here.

Today the Huskies hired USC's defensive coordinator. That is a pretty positive sign. At least we can't do worse next year.
Also, it should be noted that UW's D coordinator makes more than WSU's head coach. That is probably appropriate.
Speaking of the Cougs, the Huskies finally beat them at basketball. Nice job.

One month from now, I'll be in Hawaii. Weird! Weird but good.

I'll be back in WA on February 9th. I plan on coming up to Seattle probably for the 10th and 11th. I know it is during the week, but I'd love to hang out with people there if you can arrange it. Then I'm going to hang out with my parents and belately celebrate my mom's 60th birthday.
On February 15, I fly to Miami on a red-eye, then head to South America. In case anyone wants to meet me along the trip, I'll provide what I think is our itinerary:

Feb 18-March 2: Buenos Aires area. We'll be staying with Maximo in town and also checking out a nearby town for Carnival and probably a couple days in Uruguay.

March 2-13: Patagonia. We fly into El Calafate and have one day to check out the Perito Moreno glacier. Then we head south to prepare for 5 days of backpacking in Torres del Paine park in Chile.

From here on out it gets less scheduled, but it'll be something like this probably:
March 13-18 Bariloche, Argentina area, some of this time spent hiking/camping.
March 18-23- Make our way to Pucon, Chile- camping probably along the way.
March 23-28 Pucon, Chile. There's an erupting volcano to climb there, rafting, and all kinds of things like that.
March 28-30 Make our way up to Valparaiso/Vina del Mar, Chile
March 30- April 5- Valparaiso/Vina del Mar/ Santiago, Chile
April 6-10 Mendoza, Argentina area
April 11-14 Salta, Argentina area
April 14-15 travel to Sucre, Bolivia
April 16-18 Sucre, Bolivia
April 19-22 La Paz, Bolivia
April 23-25 backpacking in Bolivia
April 26-28 Lake Titicaca (Bolivia)
April 29-30 Lake Titicaca (Peru)
May 1-8 Cusco & Macchu Picchu
May 8-12 Lima- hang out with Ayla.
Then it is back to Miami and a few days hanging out with Susan.
Then to Indianapolis for a few days
Then to Chicago for a few
Then back to Portland on May 26

I'll have the same Vonage phone number 206.501.2135 and I'm taking a phone (provided by Nate) that I will be able to (hopefully) plug into computers at internet cafes to call.

Here's a pirate and a bat:

4 comments:

stadtler said...

Wowwewewow! An update! It's been months since I've had anything to comment on and now I'm at a loss for words.

The Dawgs are gonna be good. I predict we'll be a Rosebowl contender w/in three years. I also love the fact that money is no object for us. Take that WSU!

Of course, you're welcome to crash at my place while in Seattle. You can even drive the Jetta if I still have it.

Perez said...

Sounds like a nice short trip. Are you going to travel via motorcycle like Che? Let me know when you are in Chicago. We can grab a beer or four and some deep dish Chicago style pizza.

Drjjh said...

i'm looking at moving to AmSam in a year or so and stumbled upon your blog...
your upcoming trip sounds amazing- having lived in argentina for a couple years i would HIGHLY recommend trying to go to Iguazu Falls on the border of Arg and Brazil...They are absolutely amazing...there is nothing like it in the world and you will remember the power and beauty forever.

kccalla said...

Here is another pirate and a bat: