Tuesday, January 27, 2009

9 days left in Samoa

I'm enjoying my time that remains here in the tropics. It was cool today. It is 630p right now and it is only 84 degrees. Plus the humidity seems lower than it has been.

On Friday, Team Puppy backpacked down to Massacre Bay for some camping.


On the way up, it was NOT cool out. I'm guessing it was about 92 and 100% humidity. And that trail is steep. I was a super sweat machine.


The trip was really fun. Sleeping without pads sucks though even when the ground is sand.

So I applied for a job a month or so ago in Seattle working for the US Dept. of Labor adjudicating workers compensation claims. That seemed pretty cool. A couple weeks ago I had a phone interview and the people that interviewed me also seemed cool. Plus the job is in downtown Seattle. Today they offered it to me, but want me to start March 1. I knew I might get an offer for a while because my boss said they called him for a reference the day after the interview. It was really stressing me out for a while. It is really hard to pass up a job in this terrible economy, especially one in Seattle, but I've decided I can't take it. I can't not go on this trip that I've already paid for. Plus, I don't have a mortgage, or kids, or anything else that would make it harder to go. I think I need to do it. I'm going to tell them I can start June 1, but I doubt that will work. Regardless though, it is nice to get an offer for the first job I applied for. Hopefully I won't be unemployed in 8 months. I think I'll be ok. Maybe another position at the same place will open up that starts in June.

I was disappointed to see the OKC fake basketball team won 5 out of 10. I was hoping for worst record of all time (not that the NBA isn't dead to me).

I hope the M's sign Griffey. I know he could suck, but he could help the team as a DH/sometimes LF with power. $5M/ 1year would be great.

The Huskies are ranked! I don't know how the coaches could not rank the Huskies and still rank UCLA. UW has a better record, is 1st in the Pac-10, has a higher RPI, and just beat UCLA by 11. They need to keep it up. If they could possibly keep the losses to 3 from here on out, they'll get a relatively high seed in the tournament. That's a tall order, but at least it looks like they'll make the tournament. So I'll have to find an internet cafe to watch the tournament games online.
I'm really glad MBA didn't break his toe too.

My neighbor's clothesline:

6 comments:

stadtler said...

Congratz on the job offer!

If the Huskies can at least split their next four (all road games) I think we'll be set. Until then, I'm not ready to pencil us into the tourney.

busycorner said...

Duke is playing Wake Forest right now. I suggest you watch just so you don't go back to the left coast thinking Washington has a basketball team.

Wad

busycorner said...

Duke is playing Wake Forest right now. I suggest you watch just so you don't go back to the left coast thinking Washington has a basketball team.

Wad

Hoz said...

We are snow camping on Friday Jan.30. You can catch the flight tomorrow. Get to 29 Pines on Friday night. Stay Saturday. Get up early on Sunday. Get to Sea-Tac, then fly to HNL. Then catch the sunday flight out of HNL. No problem. That will give you 6 days left in Samoa and you can enjoy that great flight here twice in one week.

OH YEAH KW is coming too. He doesn't know it yet but he is. See you there KW! I will have your grill. If you don't show up I will leave it there for you to pick up next time you are in WA.

stadtler said...

Oh Boy! Everyone loves a good ACC basketball discussion! Eat it Duke.

Great pic Shane!

P a n c a k e said...

Update your blog, dipshit. Not like you're doing anything exciting...