Saturday, February 28, 2009

Argentina

I made it down to Buenos Aires with a 5 hour layover in Miami where Susan very nicely picked me up and took me to lunch on the beach. Pretty cool.

Then to Quito for about 30 minutes, then Guayaquil for about 20 hours. Guayaquil seems like a pretty cool place. Things in Ecuador are super super cheap. It was hot and humid there like Samoa.

and look, a breadfruit tree:




After Guayaquil, I had to go to Lima for a day. When getting off the plane in Lima I was waiting for the girl across the row to go and I looked at her, and it was Sam McManus. Crazy. Her and her fiance are also traveling around South America. They recently went to Antarctica too, which is pretty cool.

So I met Naomi at the Lima airport the next morning and we flew to Buenos Aires and met Maximo and Gonzalo for a beer by their work. Really cool to see them.



So Buenos Aires is not like Mexico at all, despite being in South Mexico. It is a lot more like Italy, but probably cleaner and definitely more orderly. People like to make lines for everything. The food here is really good and everything is really cheap too. You should come and check it out.

Maxi and Gonzalo have this group of friends that has kind of like their own private bar. El Pude:

They have stuff about 3 nights a week there, sell beer for cheap and have a bbq for sale as well. It is a great idea. Someone in Seattle should get that going.

We went to Uruguay for a few days also. Uruguay is pretty much the same as Argentina, maybe a little more expensive. Montevideo is a really nice city too. They have nice beaches and waterfront. We got lost and did a ton of walking there, as this has been a major theme of the trip so far--- tons and tons of walking duet to lostness...which is good for me.
We saw a carnival competition there, which was cool, but I didn't know what they were saying and parts of it were like a Mexican sitcom.
Next to Colonia del Sacramento, also in Uruguay. It is a small, well preserved colonial town on the river. The river here separates Uruguay and Argentina and is probably 60 miles across. 60... really.






OK, Maxi is hassling me to go to lunch, so here are some more pictures. Gotta go:






Fa!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice picture Drunk Eeyore!!

Your pictures are great. I wish I was there instead of in the cold.

kccalla said...

How were the beans in Lima? I heard that they are pretty famous there.

That is pretty crazy that you ran into Sam!

Elizabeth said...

Curse you and your brilliant idea to travel in a warm, interesting place after leaving Samoa!

It looks like a lot of fun. Say hi to Naomi for me.