Thursday, December 27, 2007

Palagi Beach/ Bar Assn. Christmas Party

Sorry, I've been not only bad about blogging but also reading and returning emails. I had a few trials scheduled for the past several weeks and one of them actually went to trial. Luckily the jury found the guy guilty . But, now I don't have any trials until after I get back from New Zealand.

Every government department here is supposed to put on a Christmas singing program (pese) and perform it for the governor at the outdoor theater in town. This lasts about 5 hours per night for three nights. It is also usually mandatory that everyone go to practice beforehand. Some departments practiced far longer than the AG's office, but ours was 3 weeks, every work day. The first week, practice was from 1-4pm each day. Then it was 2-4 and finally, it was just 2-3 the last week. I could only make it to one practice because I was actually busy. I assumed that the memo we got that practice was "mandatory" did not include me putting off getting ready for jury trials to sing. (I'm probably wrong, but I didn't hear anything about it.) Anyway, every department has their own uniforms that they make up. Here is Amity with Alden- Alden is in his pese uniform:


and here is Risa in hers:

OK, here's mine (this picture was actually from Christmas Eve and stolen from Liz's blog, but same outfit):


As you can see, my getup is much more ridiculous and ugly than other uniforms. But that was kind of fun going down there and doing it. Everyone gets really into it. The only bad thing was I didn't get home til about midnight. We were supposed to go on at 8, but really went on about 11. I hadn't eaten yet either. Carl's Jr. saved me.

We also had our bar association Christmas party. Against my protests and without any consultation (I was on the Christmas party committee) it was booked at the Yacht Club. The Yacht Club is kind of cool because it has a section that is open air and by the water, but it is kind of not cool because their food is TERRRRRRIBLE. I got the "prime rib". It was actually cold roast beef. This came with a potato that must have been boiled for about 25 seconds and a dash of sour cream.



The "shrimp pasta" was the other option. It came with no sauce and three shrimps on top of the pasta. Seriously.
Doug picked up a girlfriend there though:

The Christmas decorating of churches here is insane. Check out this one for example:



The next day after that party, we went to Palagi Beach. I'd never been there before and was really impressed. You have to hike through the woods, traversing a small mudslide for about 30 minutes to get there.
mmmmm...leptospirosis:


Then you come out of the woods and it is just around a little point to the beach:

There was a really good turnout, the weather was great, the beach was great, and someone even packed a grill and charcoal.
Pirate Chris' brother Sean and Phil Murphy jumped off this rock:




If you keep walking past that beach, maybe 15 minutes later there's another smaller beach and an island off shore.

A little ways past that, there's another island not too far off shore. This is the most southwesterly point in the US. Between this island and the point of the "mainland", waves roll in. It is the only place I have seen so far in American Samoa where you can go out and play in the waves and not get smashed onto a reef. I was in there with the waves for a long time.

I think Palagi Beach is probably my new favorite place on the island.

3 comments:

KDub said...

Great video at the end of this post. What is that an amoeba through a microscope?

Kinda cool that you have now lived in both the most SouthWest city in the continental US and the most SouthWest place in all the US.

BYU v. UW - opening game 2008. Be there! Adrian, Rob, and KC. Please either get a pass from the wife to go out that night or get a babysitter. You may also want to plan to be in pain until at least noon the next day. I see a Nightlight in our future. I am going to start harassing Martinez now to see if we can get him out there also.

Shane - please have my tarp and camp grill ready for me to pick up.

Jerry - UW should win this game by at least 200 points. If they don't, you have to drink one beer for every point under that margin of victory. So if UW wins by 199 points, you only have to drink one beer.

Where in world is the B-Farmer? He and Hernandez get a little place in Oakland together?

Ben - What is up? I expect to see you there as well.

Here's how I see it. We tailgate a couple hours before the game - watch as the Huskies destroy Gods team and everything holy. Go to the Nightlight and drink teas until we hallucinate. Maybe mix in dinner at the Met in there somewhere. I will have about 5 guys from Salt Lake and we will have a Motor Home for tailgating.

I know it's early, but put in your calendar now. Masser, no excuses. I don't want to hear how it will cost you thousands of dollars or whatever, just be there.

stadtler said...

No pass needed for me, I'll be there. That'll be game number 75 in my streak of consecutive home games.
Dinner at the Met is a bad idea for that night since we'll be too wasted to enjoy it. The NocNoc's $2 app menu is great though and only one block from the Nightlite!

fogfan said...

Wow! I stumbled upon your blog and the photo of what I think is the Catholic Church in Leone, it's been 21 years since I've left so I might be wrong, but all I can say is....Wow! I mean...Wow! Anyone who thinks Christmas hasn't become commercialized need only view this pic. Great blog by the way.